View Single Post
Old 05-10-2014, 08:26 PM   #26
hsvendsen
hsvendsen

5 yr Member
Default A Lot

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiem View Post
I glide all over my city, including some not-to-affluent areas, if you catch my drift, and wherever I go it's the same story. 80% of the people that make a comment ask how much it cost. I don't really want to share what I paid, and I don't want to advertise what they cost new. I don't want to be rude and tell them it's none of their business (despite the fact that they are being rude by asking), but I don't want to just ignore them either.

Today I insulted a kid with one of my standard responses of simply "too much". He thought I meant he couldn't afford one and started telling me he was wearing a $6k watch. What I meant by it is that I think they're overpriced for what they are but I didn't stick around to explain that to him.

Anyone come up with a clever retort? I've told some people I got it at the bottom of a CrackerJack box. I'm thinking of telling people it was awarded to me in a personal injury suit. I let people ride it wherever I go. I stop and answer questions all the time. I'm just tired of THIS question being the most common thing people ask.
I never take offence at this - very common - question. It is usually accompanied by "how fast will it go?" and "how far will it go?". All the questions indicate that the questioner does not know anything about Segways, and is genuinely fascinated with this unique mode of transportation.

I usually tell them that a new one will run between six and seven grand, but that a good used clunker (like the one I am driving) will run between one and two grand on eBay. It is when I tell them that a new set of batteries will run close to two grand that they pale.

I consider their interest in my Segway to be flattering, and that they would like to have one themselves - until they hear about the batteries! Assuming that the Li-Ions are good for - say - 5,000 miles, that's $0.40 per mile. Gas for a small car is a whole lot cheaper than that!!