View Single Post
Old 08-08-2013, 08:54 PM   #4
KSagal
Glides a lot, talks more...
KSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud of

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

The bad news in small towns is that they do not have the resources of larger communities, and often, do not have the experience with dealing with some less common events (such as people on segways).

The good news in small towns is the relative availability to speak with the police chief and other decision makers. And once you do that, and express or demonstrate to them that you are not a threat or risk to the public, then life is easier.

Years ago I attempted to have a bylaw passed in my town regarding segways, because my state is one of the few that still has no segway law of any kind. I spoke to the town meeting, but the Police chief did not support my bylaw by saying that he knows me, and if all segway operators used their machines as I used mine, there was no need for this law. He was actually very complementary in his statement that there was no need, because I am polite and responsible in my dealings, and he would simply encourage other segway operators to simply act as I do. He actually said that I was the only segway owner that he knew of in town, and if he did have any report of a segway issue, he would simply call me.

Now, that is great in my home town, but it would not address how life is in neighboring towns. I have glode all over, and have had very few problems, but as the OP said, it is probably something that will come up eventually, and you should be prepared for it.

I believe that Lily's advice is great. Be polite. Be prepared. Be persistent and tenacious, and stand by your rights. Most confrontations are expected to be resolved quickly by whomever is giving you a hard time. When they are in the wrong, they want you to shut up and give up. If you do neither, but request politely to speak with a supervisor, and offer up the applicable laws, you will win out. (Eventually).

At the same time I would advise to be careful if you find yourself in a situation where you are going head to head with an ignorant or disinterested cop. If that is the case, he will care much more that you are not doing what he said, than the content of actually what he said for you to do. That is why asking for the supervisor works well. If what he is saying is not justified, he will think twice if he has to explain his error to his boss. He will choose not to explain to you, but will not have that option if you bring it up stairs.

That is why Lily is ready to kick it up to the DOJ. They will get involved, and be effectively the call from the top floor. That way, even if the supervisor is ignorant, you have gone up from there as well.

Again, polite is the rule. You will win no argument with any cop I have ever met. You may score points or even win a debate with a reasonable one, but you will not win an argument. You must try your best to not let it become one.

Good luck. Be prepared, and hopefully never use that preparation. And most importantly, have fun.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Well done is better than well said." (Ben Franklin)
Bene factum melior bene dictum

Proud past President of SEG America and member of the First Premier Segway Enthusiasts Group and subsequent ones as well.
KSagal is offline   Reply With Quote