Thread: miniPRO Segway/Ninebot MINI PRO
View Single Post
Old 03-18-2016, 06:52 AM   #12
therealzam
therealzam is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteInLongBeach View Post
I've read these reviews and watched some videos. I don't see any provision for effective emergency stopping or other sudden evasive maneuvers as can be done on a real Segway with a complete leansteer frame. The control shaft at knee level seems relatively precarious to me...
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteInLongBeach View Post
I've read these reviews and watched some videos. I don't see any provision for effective emergency stopping or other sudden evasive maneuvers as can be done on a real Segway with a complete leansteer frame. The control shaft at knee level seems relatively precarious to me...
The position of the control rod between the legs and elimination of the handlebars is the best feature of this device. It improves control, maneuverability, and safety exponentially. I've used a customized replacement rod on my i/x2 both SE and not. This setup eliminates the persistent 'Segway shake' which is the biggest issue I've encountered for new users and was an occasional problem for me despite the fact that I use the device as my legs daily.

The design of the control rod actually allows much faster and more graceful evasive maneuvers than using handlebars. The software is also tweaked for the different setup so 'emergency breaking' works just as well as if not better than its larger brother. The size also makes it easy to jump off in an emergency (or so my friends tell me).

That's not to say the Mini control system is perfect or better than an i2 / x2. The rod should be taller and or the pads wider as its highest setting is still too short for my 5ft 10in self (at least in my situation). This makes the connection between user and device less then it is on my other devices with larger 'between the legs' rods.

The other major weaknesses of the device from a maneuverability standpoint are a consequence of its size and weight. The reduced width increases the problems that occur when encountering lateral slopes such as sidewalk driveways. This device and the p133 are roughly the same in this regard. The reduced weight and smaller tires also negatively impact traction. This is really the biggest issue, but the light weight is also the device's greatest strength.

In conclusion, there's a reason why one would spend 8x more for an i2. It's solid as a rock and with my custom control rod (that works much like the Mini) it's practically impossible to fall unless you do something really stupid. It has enough power to climb almost any hill. It can also carry cargo with ease. The larger device is just in a totally different league. But, the Mini also has its strengths: it is based on much more modern and current technology, it weighs 1/4 as much, is small enough to fit in any car, it's more maneuverable, and the price is within reach of almost all Americans. Going forward, the 4 Segway model categories (Mini, NineBot, i/x2 and i3) will compliment one another by each fulfilling a different set of needs. Best of all, this should lead to better pricing and improvements in technology throughout the entire product range.
therealzam is offline   Reply With Quote