View Single Post
Old 03-27-2017, 02:24 AM   #20
Pescador12
Pescador12 is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSagal View Post
Your guess about the handlebar is not accurate. If the device hits a wall and stops, no handlebar will not let you step off, because a wall is there.

Your guess about the 13.5 mph being unsafe is not accurate. Segways went 12.5 mph as a max to start with, but they had models that topped out at 10 mph (133p) as an example. So the reduced top speed is not a safety enhancement, although each increase in speed requires almost exponential increases in difficulty. 10 mph safely is many times more difficult than 5 mph safely, not just twice.

If you never considered segways safe, good for you. We are all entitled to our own opinion. Stats say a lot. I think you may find mile for mile, or machine by machine, segways have less serious injuries than ATVs.

Since your profile says you never owned a segway, and you state here that you never found them safe, it all makes sense. Just that posting on a segway forum your opinions on items you never owned makes a difference.
DonM stated that Segways had a public perception of safe. As a card carrying member of the public, most of whom (like me) do not own a Segway, I stated that I never had that (thought of them as safe) perception of Segway devices. It was a rebuttal to his point. Didn't the public pass laws because they aren't considered as safe as DonM claims?

My understanding is that private owners can't ride segways on the Golden Gate but tour operators can? San Fran thinks they are safe?
Pescador12 is offline   Reply With Quote