View Single Post
Old 02-04-2017, 09:13 PM   #9
Don M
Don M is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

I do agree that there are many different variants of lithium technology and some are more tolerant of being left at higher SOC's for extended periods than others, but it's still not a good idea . . . . and also, what constitutes a 'full charge' varies quite a bit - Not charging cells to 100% makes them last lots longer and Segway doesn't come close to charging our batteries to 100%, so a 'full charge' isn't really 100%

No doubt they would last lots longer though if the Seg didn't put a small load on them when it's not in use and that pretty much forces many people to keep them plugged in 24/7 - I don't do that either

But as a general rule, if you want any lithium to last a long time, it's not a good idea to long term store them in either a hot or cold place with a full charge. I personally don't leave my spare pairs anywhere near 'full' and I don't think what I'm doing is "100% false" - I do check their voltages periodically and so long as they're remaining constant (and well above 73.6) nothing bad is going to happen. But, by all means, do whatever floats your boat. They're your investment and you should care for them as you think best

Don
Don M is offline   Reply With Quote