View Single Post
Old 09-09-2013, 09:12 PM   #32
drsmr2
drsmr2 is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member
Smile I have an update. Spoke to Segway and the dealer

Hi Guys!

I have spoken with Segway in NH and the dealer today several times each about my i2 that I have now affectionately named "Winky." The first tech I spoke to confirmed that the info key does "wink" when the infokey reaches 10K miles & said its doesn't mean I have a bad machine. I then went home after work and grabbed both infokeys, docked the first one on "Winky" and off we went with the infokey "winking. I went up my road and back, powered down and docked the 2nd infokey-- NO WINKING!!! I couldn't believe it! I said to myself "those guys on the forum are going to think I'm nuts!" I went up and down my road a couple of times to see if it would start winking and no winking. I stopped, powered down and put the first infokey back on that was winking before.....guess what.....no winking. Both infokeys were just smiling like normal now. I came in the house and called Segway again. I got David Kilroy. He told me he is in service and has been with the company since before the Segway's were released to the public and he feels he has seen just about everythingl. He told me the controller board that stores the mileage information is located under the heels and the machine stores the info and communicates it to the infokey (which we all already know). He thinks the info keys may have been from a another machine and reprogrammed for mine. Since the winking is now gone that the controller board finally communicated the information to the infokeys. Apparently, it doesn't do the communicating/updating continuously. He told me that the Segways are built like an airplane, very robust and it isn't unusual for them to see systems come in for service with 50K miles!! I was amazed. All I can say is it's "AMERICAN MADE!!"

I then called the dealer and discussed the situation with him. He told me the Segway was purchase new from a dealer in Harrisburg by an 80 year old man. That dealer confirmed this with him again today that the elderly gentleman was the sole owner and the mileage is correct (814 when I picked it up on Saturday). My dealer is going to talk to Segway tomorrow regarding the history of this i2 and update me. I didn't notice the winking on Saturday during my DC tour. The winking started yesterday (Sunday) before I made the first post. Now on Monday, the first key winked, 2nd key no winking & finally both keys were no longer winking???

I really appreciate all of the input, suggestions and help. This is a great group. I will update you again when my dealer lets me know what he found out from Segway.

Thanks again,

Denise

Last edited by drsmr2; 09-09-2013 at 09:16 PM.. Reason: fix paragraph- out of line
drsmr2 is offline   Reply With Quote