View Single Post
Old 09-15-2016, 10:05 PM   #9
Don M
Don M is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

I never considered the possibility that Saphion Technology actually manufactures the 18650 cells used in Seg batteries - So do we know this for a fact? When you tear apart a Seg battery, are the cells themselves labeled as being a Saphion product? If so, my hat is certainly off to them. Got a picture of how they are labeled?

I always assumed they were the company chosen to implement the technology chosen for the Segway branded battery packs. The battery is the lowest part of a Seg to keep the center of gravity as low as possible and that location subjects them to all sorts of abuse - Hitting rocks or a curb when someone goes off course and yet we seldom if ever hear about the battery pack presenting a problem after such abuse. When I hear of 787's catching fire, hoverboards flaming away in a mall or cel phones blowing up, I'm even more astonished about the remarkable record compiled by Saphion Technology packs over the past 10 or 12 years. Ever had a power tool or computer battery last you ten years? There are threads here on the forum about owners who have gone more than 10,000 miles over 6 or 7 year span and are still getting 16 or 18 miles of range out of their original packs!

You always think technology marches on and products keep getting better and better, yet I think pretty much anyone selling *anything* with a lithium battery in it would be very happy to have Saphion's safety record to brag about - What a remarkable product they continue to make!

Don
Don M is offline   Reply With Quote