View Single Post
Old 09-15-2016, 11:20 AM   #4
Don M
Don M is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTOBATTERY View Post
In the ideal world you would be correct. If that is done and there is failed cells within the pack there can very easily be a fire.
I'm curious. With all the hoopla going around right now about Lithiums catching fire and burning down houses and cars, has there ever been a documented case of a Segway battery actually catching fire? Got a link to an article about it?

I own two electric cars with Lithium power and I know car makers have gone to extraordinary lengths to make sure their batteries don't catch fire as that could very easily burn down your house if they are stored in a connected garage. Segways are probably stored indoors 95% of the time too - Has a Segway ever burned down a house? Seg batteries seem to be engineered with safety as the #1 priority - I know it's easily possible to get at least twice the power from the 18650 form factor batteries that they use, but it appears Segway resisted the temptation to go for the extra power/range in favor of building a nearly bullet-proof battery pack. If only they had incorporated an On/Off switch so you could store the machine for a year or two without needing to plug it in. My electric car can sit at 1/4 charge for two or three years if need be without harm - They actually recommend having the battery at 1/3rd to 1/4 charge if you're going to leave it sit for extended periods

Don
Don M is offline   Reply With Quote