View Single Post
Old 08-19-2016, 05:34 AM   #4
rwoynaro
rwoynaro is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ions82 View Post
I really like this SegSaddle. I feel fortunate that it came along with my machine and seems to be in great shape. Do you think Mr. Hughes might be willing to share the designs and plans for the SegSaddles? I have a small machine shop at home. Perhaps I might be able to make replacement parts for people that want to keep using the SegSaddles. In looking at it, it's actually a pretty complex component. It's not surprising that he wasn't able to keep producing them (at a profit margin that made it worth it.) It looks as though it were designed from the ground up right along with the machine. Very well integrated.

It's not surprising that people draw very different conclusions when they see someone sitting vs. standing on a Segway. Even though this was my first day gliding, I had a nagging suspicion that it would often be the case. If I'm ever in a place where I'm worried that someone might harass me, I'll just make sure I stay seated. Even though it qualifies as adaptive equipment, I'd rather not deal with the hassle of trying to explain it to someone. Although, I'm sure it's bound to happen at some point.

I have exactly the same atitude and it works well. Once I follow that, I am never questioned anymore, and its just one less hassle in your daily routine.

The only part that wears out in my experience is a small plastic cam, A 3d printer could make it easily, you could machine it out of Aluminum or similar and it would last forever, that would be fantastic. I tried very hard to get extra parts when they closed, Brian Hughes was good enough to stay in business long enough to fabricate my Segsaddle, it is one of the last one's made. I believe he had a family illness ( mother if I recall corrrectly) that he needed to devote more time to, so that is why he stopped the business. He was (is) a great guy and I wish him all the best. If you look at the side of the SegSaddle, you will see two horizontal aluminum rocker bars. If you look behind the bottom one, you can see the gray plastic triangular shaped piece that engages a rocker behind the flat aluminum plate the pushes down and engages the foot sensors. That is the only thing that wears out, that lower plastic piece. It wears down and it wont push the alumium plate down far enough to engage the foot sensors eventually. If you take off that flat aluminum plate (remove the screw at the top of it with the plastic bushing and just slide the plate over the oversized opening of the other screw heads, you can get right to the part I am talking about. If you can find a way to fabricate that little piece, your SegSaddle will last and last. I have had 2 now, over 8 years, and the rocker wore out on 1, and is getting thinner on the other. If you find a way to do this, please broadcast it, as it would make our SegSaddles last and I would be eternally greatful.
rwoynaro is offline   Reply With Quote