View Single Post
Old 08-18-2016, 05:44 AM   #3
ions82
ions82

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwoynaro View Post
The difference in people's reactions to seeing you sitting vice standing when gliding is stark and in my experiences widespread and universal. If you are sitting, they assume you need it for mobility assistance, if you are standing, they dont automatically assume that, they may draw the conclusion, they may think you are riding a toy and confront you about it use.

I have 2 segs, both with seats as I only glide sitting except I personally need to stand up to restore the circulation in my legs on occasion. I really like the SegSaddle, unfortunately its not made anymore. Brian Huges, the owner, folded the company after enough work. Its a shame, its a great product. I am always on the lookout for spare SegSaddle parts of it any are left in stock. Be wary of a company called "Strollax" (Strollax.com) they claim to have them left over in stock, I am still in a battle with PayPal trying to get my money back from them. Segway of Fl has a new product called the "Glide Seat" which looks somewhat similar to the SegSaddle, I am holding out hope that its a functional replacement. I have a LeanSeat on my other Seg, as I couldnt get any more SegSaddles, its not as comfortable for me.

I really like this SegSaddle. I feel fortunate that it came along with my machine and seems to be in great shape. Do you think Mr. Hughes might be willing to share the designs and plans for the SegSaddles? I have a small machine shop at home. Perhaps I might be able to make replacement parts for people that want to keep using the SegSaddles. In looking at it, it's actually a pretty complex component. It's not surprising that he wasn't able to keep producing them (at a profit margin that made it worth it.) It looks as though it were designed from the ground up right along with the machine. Very well integrated.

It's not surprising that people draw very different conclusions when they see someone sitting vs. standing on a Segway. Even though this was my first day gliding, I had a nagging suspicion that it would often be the case. If I'm ever in a place where I'm worried that someone might harass me, I'll just make sure I stay seated. Even though it qualifies as adaptive equipment, I'd rather not deal with the hassle of trying to explain it to someone. Although, I'm sure it's bound to happen at some point.
ions82 is offline   Reply With Quote