View Single Post
Old 04-14-2014, 07:47 AM   #3
rwoynaro
rwoynaro is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave View Post
My father currently is doing well using a walker for walking around his house. However he has trouble carrying food around the house for meals. He can use a small bag for carrying books, papers, and small stuff like that; however, he has a problem at meal time when he pours a drink or food on a plate. He can't carry a plate or a glass and keep it level with both hands on a walker. I was wondering if anyone had experience using one of the Segway platforms for such a purpose? He can place anything that must stay level on the platform, walk to a table, then summon the platform, and then transfer the plates to a table. Is this something workable?
Hi Dave: Just some quick input in case it's relevent for you. When I read your description of your dad, it sounds exactly like me. I typically use a rolling cart (like the mechanics use) to get food and stuff /to/from the kitchen, dishes back to the kitched etc. I also use a walker that has a seat in the middle. The seat flips up and there is a little basket underneath that can hold trash or little bags of stuff. Alternatley I also but stuff in bags (the small plastic shopping bags usually), hang them off my wrist and then walk ( I need to use 2 crutches so I cant walk and carry anything) The rolling cart works well, it provides me the stability and ability to lean on it, and it also allows me to transport stuff. Maybe it will help. Best wishes.
rwoynaro is offline   Reply With Quote