View Single Post
Old 12-11-2017, 02:02 AM   #48
TopFloridian
TopFloridian is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by electrijim View Post
I heard a few months ago from two different Segway dealers that the (Ninebot) Segway Elite Plus is no longer available the USA because Segway couldn't get UL approval. One dealer said Segway had a warehouse stocked with them in the USA they can't sell now. I have a feeling that this could imply a lack of safety redundancy, but I'm just guessing. That makes me a little nervous about riding mine now. Luckily I also have a Segway i2 SE (slightly nicer than the obsolete i2). I haven't heard any such discussion about the redundancy of the Segway miniPro, or the new Segway miniPro Lite and miniPLUS models. Hopefully the fact that they are legal in the USA implies redundancy.

I don't care what the dealers are saying, the Elite+ is definitely being sold right now, and I have not seen any interruptions. It is still being sold on the web today by major Segway / Ninebot dealers. Not only that but now Ninebot models are being marketed and branded as Segways. (It is official.)

As far as stability is concerned, I have ridden both the MiniPro and the Elite+ and the Elite+ definitely feels more stable, and is not bothered by small bumps being hit too slowly like the Mini was. I suspect that it would take much more force to knock down an Elite hitting one wheel on something. While even the classic i2 Segaways will fail when hitting something with one wheel, the Mini is VERY SUPER Sensitive to hitting one wheel and falling over.

My main concern is the battery failing without warning, because no matter how careful you ride, it would seem to be unpreventable.
TopFloridian is offline   Reply With Quote