View Single Post
Old 03-26-2017, 12:10 PM   #18
KSagal
Glides a lot, talks more...
KSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud of

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pescador12 View Post
I think they left off the handle bars that keep you from stepping off it if it stops suddenly from failure or hitting an obstacle. Plus, they left off 3.5mph of top speed. Left off since 13.5mph has proven to be unsafe?

I never thought of Segways as safe. Plenty of news stories of those big powerful machines sending people to the hospital. Segway just promised good wire routing and battery management/charging circuits in their Amazon.com advertisements.

I thought of Segway safety as I took my Can Am DS450 ATV over some jumps by my house. Four wheels are the way to go if you want to be safe and have $7000 to burn. Think of the extra two wheels as redundancy.

Maybe riding on just two wheels is worth the risk? Risk for reward. Worth the risk for me as I enjoy having the mini pro that I can carry in one hand then toss it in my truck. Then ride it at an unexplored park while enjoying a refreshing beverage.
Your guess about the handlebar is not accurate. If the device hits a wall and stops, no handlebar will not let you step off, because a wall is there.

Your guess about the 13.5 mph being unsafe is not accurate. Segways went 12.5 mph as a max to start with, but they had models that topped out at 10 mph (133p) as an example. So the reduced top speed is not a safety enhancement, although each increase in speed requires almost exponential increases in difficulty. 10 mph safely is many times more difficult than 5 mph safely, not just twice.

If you never considered segways safe, good for you. We are all entitled to our own opinion. Stats say a lot. I think you may find mile for mile, or machine by machine, segways have less serious injuries than ATVs.

Since your profile says you never owned a segway, and you state here that you never found them safe, it all makes sense. Just that posting on a segway forum your opinions on items you never owned makes a difference.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Well done is better than well said." (Ben Franklin)
Bene factum melior bene dictum

Proud past President of SEG America and member of the First Premier Segway Enthusiasts Group and subsequent ones as well.
KSagal is offline   Reply With Quote