View Single Post
Old 08-02-2008, 08:05 AM   #30
WLSINWI
WLSINWI is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnM View Post
Or is the very small market due to what appears to be the lack of any real competition?

I look at the sales to ATVs, snowmobiles and PWCs, devices used by 99% of their owners as toys, then look a the sales of Segways, a device with more practical uses as well as a high fun factor and wonder what went wrong.
If you compare the Segway to ATVS snowmobiles motorcycles and PWC's it is clear to me what went wrong.

The Segway has three major deficiencies that prevent mass acceptance.
1: It is a personal transport device that is not intended to transport more than one person and a very limited amount of cargo. Most of the above toys will carry two people on one device.
2: The battery had/has a limited range and once depleted needs hours to charge. No bringing a can of gas to refuel.
3: Lets face it it is relatively SLOW. People like speed and the wind in their face. Now I understand why it is limited to 12mph- without that it would not get legal approval to use sidewalks and paths but it lacks that macho speed experience that young males with extra money like to feel and take their girl friends out for rides on..

Anyway the Winglet is I agree a real joke. It's like they tried to miniturize a Segway. The wheels are to small and obviously the battery is too small to have any range. It doen't look usefull or durable or even safe. I'm thinking it is all plastic construction. I see it going nowhere.

However I am encouraged that people are starting to seriously consider such devices in various situations. The Segway was ahead of its time, perhaps now that time has arrived.

Here is some more info on that winglet. 3mile range at 3 mph.
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080801/...toyota_robot_2

Last edited by WLSINWI; 08-02-2008 at 08:39 AM..
WLSINWI is offline   Reply With Quote