View Single Post
Old 06-28-2009, 01:47 PM   #6
glen_d
glen_d is a jewel in the roughglen_d is a jewel in the roughglen_d is a jewel in the roughglen_d is a jewel in the rough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthSegVator View Post
A couple of points on the torque specs from the Wiki. See http://social.segway.com/mediawiki/i...p/Torque_Specs

Item 8) Wiki indicates T-45 Torx
Unless Segway used two different fasteners, this appears to be an error in the Wiki. The fasteners on my i2 transmission are definitely TORX PLUS 40. (I'm using all caps here because that's the manufacturer's styling of the patented fastener.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthSegVator View Post
Item 13) Torque the (2) top/side bolts to 40 N-m but the bottom one to only 35 N-m. This has been reported to be critical to only use 35 N-m on the bottom bolt, as 40 N-m can crack the transmission/gearbox case.
Other people's experiences are invaluable and none of us want to crack our transmission housing. With that in mind, I'm skeptical about the Wiki's claim that 35 N-m is critical.

The difference in the suggested torque specs (35 N-m vs 40 N-m) for the top and bottom bolts is only 3.7 lbs-ft of torque. To put that in perspective, the claim is that you should apply 35 N-m of torque (25 pounds on the end of a foot-long lever), but that if you then set a cantaloupe (about 4 pounds) on the end of the lever, the lower transmission tab may break. If the spec is really that critical, we shouldn't be torquing the bottom tab to within 12% of failure

Unless you did some very special prep work first, you'd be very lucky indeed to repeatedly torque the transmission bolts to within +- 3.7 lbs-ft of torque, especially into aluminum . . . and yes, I mean with a torque wrench. There are too many variable sources of friction in the system that work against that accurate an application of torque.

I'm not in a position to develop, test and recommend torque standards for wide application, so I won't suggest an alternative torque value for the transmission bolts. While the caution not to break your transmission mount with excessive fastener torque is valuable, I'm skeptical of the Wiki's claim in this case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentbiker View Post
Finally, my early i2 unit was produced with gobs (technical term) of sealant instead of the available gasket. Removal of the silicone sealant can probably be best accomplished with a wire brush if you choose (I did) and the gasket can be purchased from the dealer.
There is no longer a dealer here in Alaska, so I didn't know about the gasket as an alternative to the original silicone.

Do the gaskets support the entire transmission mounting surface, or do they only exist around the enclosure for the couplers? If they were smaller than the entire mating surface of the transmission, I can see how the lower tab might be distorted or broken with excessive fastener torque.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentbiker View Post
I was at first confused by your saying, "The couplers were initially quiet but quickly degraded to their former noisy operation within a few minutes." After re-reading it, I concluded that you meant you first attempted to re-use the original couplers after merely cleaning them. I assume the new couplers quieted the situation somewhat permanently; it did for me.
You are correct. I tried to re-use the old couplers by cleaning and re-installing them. They were quiet for a few minutes, then started growling again. The new couplers fixed the problem.

Glen

Last edited by glen_d; 06-28-2009 at 02:04 PM..
glen_d is offline   Reply With Quote