Thread: SegVator - Lift
View Single Post
Old 06-30-2009, 01:27 AM   #3
footloose
footloose is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member
Default SegVator doubles pleasure for fraction of Segway price

Rolling our Segways up and down the ramp got old after a while. The SegVator makes it so easy to decide to ride our Segways that we just simply ride them a lot more often.

The SegVator is well-designed and well-made. We experienced two minor sticking points: The first was a literal sticking point: The paint is so thick that it increases the size of the hitch enough that it's hard to slide it into the receiver, so much so that I had to sand it. It is likewise hard to connect the lift itself to the hitch for the same reason.

The second problem was not really the SegVator's at all: We got the dual-lift version, so we can haul both our Segways. The two Segways were heavy enough that our Camry sank down around five inches in the back. This was enough that the trailer hitch and the SegVator would hit bottom on speed bumps and steep driveways. The SegVator people made up a special, tall hitch onto which I connect the lift. Problem solved. If you run into this problem, go directly to that solution: I wasted a lot of money getting "heavy duty" struts for the Camry which had absolutely no effect. (There's no problem when carrying just one Segway, only when carrying two.)

The device is well-constructed and can take a beating, as my wife found out when she backed our car into a thick wooden post. The Segways rode up out of the way, and about five minutes with a sledge hammer returned the Segvator to its original shape. (The post did not fare nearly as well.) We've had the device for more than a year now, and it has been out in every kind of weather with no problems whatsoever. It is built to last.
footloose is offline   Reply With Quote