View Single Post
Old 12-05-2016, 10:28 PM   #1
SegwayUtah
Advanced Member
SegwayUtah is just really niceSegwayUtah is just really niceSegwayUtah is just really niceSegwayUtah is just really nice

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee
Default Ninebot single-wheel now "Segway", UL-certified

It looks like Segway has UL-certified the single-wheeled Ninebot and is now promoting it on their website and on Amazon (current/sale price: $599).

Based on the reviews, it looks like this machine may take some practice to ride since it doesn't balance the rider left-to-right. Perhaps something like the "learning to ride a bike" learning curve.

https://www.amazon.com/Segway-Balanc...qid=1480990984

I also noticed that this is the first item to be sold directly by Segway Inc. on Amazon. The MiniPRO and its parts are sold by "Segway Distribution - North America." I don't know if Segway owns the latter or if there's some sort of exclusive relationship, but it does appear like the consumer channel (and Amazon) are becoming a bigger part of Segway's strategy these days.

My only concern about the new single-wheeled Segways is that it might hurt the Segway brand as far as simplicity and safety goes. But then again maybe I'll fall in love with the whole one-wheeled concept one day. Personally I'm looking forward to a future "semisphere-mounted" Segway which could balance in place. With a variant on the new omnidirectional wheel designs I could totally see that happening

Chris
SegwayUtah is offline   Reply With Quote