View Single Post
Old 02-08-2009, 04:11 PM   #8
KSagal
Glides a lot, talks more...
KSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud of

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob.Kerns View Post
Not exactly the discussion I intended to trigger...

I won't respond to any of the points raised so far, at the moment.

Instead, I'll point out that one of the ways Segway could turn this to its advantage, is if they could convince people who were considering buying a car, who did not already have one, that maybe a Segway would satisfy their need instead.

Obviously, that's a small subset of the market for cars -- for most buyers, a Segway would not substitute. And I don't know if that subset can be effectively reached, or effectively persuaded.

But that subset that COULD use a Segway as a substitute for a car is still a large number to Segway.

I don't think that the lack of car sales is indicative of a shift in the need for people to drive, or a reduction in the distance that people need to drive, but a re-affirmation that consumers often consume based on want and not need.

Most cars are sold when still working well. Each person will judge for themselves what is actually "working well" but unlike in the past, I don't really think that many people drive their cars into the ground as they used to...

If the real reason for the lack of car sales is financial, in that people would rather not spend their money, then segway sales may benefit only if they can convince the hesitant car buyer (or non-buyer) that segway would be a cost effective alternative. (cost of purchase, of maintenance, of per mile expenses, etc)

If the real reason for lack of car sales is financial in that they want to buy but cannot get credit, than it may not offer much to the segway market, unless segway loans are easier to get than car loans.

On the whole, I do not see segways as quite the equal alternative to a car for most people. For some, especially for those with mobility issues, it is better than car and walking, but for most, it is one more alternative in the several options that they have to get from point A to point B... Most can walk, bike, seg, drive, train, bus, taxi, or get someone else to carry you there, (this last option may be hard to make happen for some), and many more potential options.

Anytime a person makes a change to any of the options above, they make room to expand another option to fill the gap...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Well done is better than well said." (Ben Franklin)
Bene factum melior bene dictum

Proud past President of SEG America and member of the First Premier Segway Enthusiasts Group and subsequent ones as well.
KSagal is offline   Reply With Quote