View Single Post
Old 09-23-2017, 05:41 PM   #2
WeAreZilla
WeAreZilla is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member
Default Tire Mounting

I had watched a couple of videos on mounting these little tires. In most of the videos it looked like the tires were winning big time. One of them I viewed showed a method using zip ties. I also researched the best lubricant/bead seal. It was strongly recommended NOT to use petroleum jelly or silicone based lube. I settled on Pledge furniture polish.

The old tires were easy to remove. Used pry bars just a bit, but most of the removal was done by hand, simply prying with fingers. I did not remove the wheels, but did loosen them up so I could remove the fenders/brackets, then immediately retighten.

Mounting was a different story. At first I let the tires kick my butt, and then I remembered the zip tie method. It was almost magical:
-- Place one zip tie at the 4 o'clock position on the tire, and another at the 8 o'clock position. Tighten the zip ties so that the inner part of the tire is squeezed together.
-- Spray both sides of the tire with Pledge furniture polish.
-- Jam the zip tied side of the tire onto the wheel. Then, just using your hands/fingers, roll the rest of the tire onto the rim. It takes a little effort, but should pop right on.
-- Snip the zip ties and slide them out.
-- Air the tires up. The bead set almost immediately - "pop/pop!" I'm gliding at 45 psi.

Once I switched to the zip tie method I had both tires mounted in under ten minutes. Smooth. 8-)
WeAreZilla is offline   Reply With Quote