View Single Post
Old 01-08-2014, 07:35 PM   #6
KSagal
Glides a lot, talks more...
KSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud of

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

RickB, I see your point, but I do not entirely agree.

First off, we have no idea if they contacted segway at all. To presume the company that said the were banned for being unstable was telling the whole truth about a call to Segway Inc, is naive at best.

Companies make up facts to support their decisions all the time. It is immaterial.

Also, why would Segway say such a thing? We can presume to reduce liability, but saying what was claimed does not sound right.

In truth, segways may not have been designed for the disabled nor for marine use, but it is immaterial.

The ADA does not say that only devices designed for the disabled are covered. As a matter of fact, it actually mentions the Segway as part of its description of EPAMDs and 'other devices'...

I think the ADA claim is best. But the financial pressure is a real world factor as well. Fear of both (and ADA discrimination lawsuit) may be the best path.

Any way, I would request the documentation for their claims and policy. The law is clear that they have to have proof of instability to justify their policy, and cannot just presume they are unstable.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Well done is better than well said." (Ben Franklin)
Bene factum melior bene dictum

Proud past President of SEG America and member of the First Premier Segway Enthusiasts Group and subsequent ones as well.
KSagal is offline   Reply With Quote