View Single Post
Old 01-07-2014, 09:45 PM   #3
Lily Kerns
Lily Kerns will become famous soon enoughLily Kerns will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruneje View Post
I have been cruising with Celebrity Cruise lines for 12 years now, the last 4 using a Segway as a mobility device. I had to get special approval from them to use it and store it in my accessible cabin the first year I used it.

This year I booked with them again and asked my agent to notify them that I would be coming aboard with the Segway. I was told that the policy had changed and that they would not allow it anymore, kinda leaves me in a lurch.

If anybody can shed light on this it would be appreciated.

Since this cruise leaves from the USA and ends in the USA do they not have to meet ADA standards?

In the good news I know of at least two other cruise lines that will not discriminate against the use of a Segway as a mobility device, they are Seabourn and Oceania.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated
I know there has been some controversy and ambiguity on this. At one point I read that you could embark or debark for use at stops but couldn't use it onboard! I _think_ they must let you use it, but it would be good to call the ADA Help line for a more definitive answer. I'm not sure just what agency this come under and that would make a difference.

On the one cruise I've taken there was never a time when I could not have used it safely--although the door way to our cabin was so narrow that it could have been tricky...

Good luck and please do pursue this with the DOJ!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Lily Kerns is offline   Reply With Quote