View Single Post
Old 02-11-2013, 01:02 PM   #7
GadgetmanKen
GadgetmanKen will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member SegwayFest Attendee

I have seen one at the hardware store and played with it. They are cool, but I don't think they have much power. I don't know if it actually has electronic gyros in them, but the same effect can be achieved with cross wiring a relay, and a ball bearing, or penny switch, with multiple leads on a curve with voltage regulators. Don't get me wrong, I love Black n Decker products. I have used two of their first hand held gray n black style screwdrivers to assemble, screw together over four thousand pneumatic valves as kits from a company I worked for years ago. So I know the quality. I even submitted an idea to them years ago for a quick disconnect system, so as to change from the different heads they offered at the time. Simple forward, reverse, then the head with adjustable torque settings, then the right angle head for attaching sockets and such. Same battery pack was used on all three screwdrivers, just three different screwdrivers. My idea was to use the same battery on your choice of three different heads. It was as simple as a quick disconnect as on an air hose cord. They did like it, but had just spent millions on tooling etc, redesigning their next generation they were starting to roll out with. That was the green and orange bodied design screwdrivers that had one or multiple battery cells you slid out of the handle to put in a recharger. So my idea was a day (or two) late and a dollar short, if you know what I mean. Now pretty much all electric screwdriver models have inter-changeable heads.