Thread: mzokc's Blog
View Single Post
Old 05-03-2009, 11:27 PM   #18
mzokc
mzokc is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee
Default Red Charge Lights

Well, that St. Patrick's Day glide was the last one on the second set of batteries. Running the NiMH cells down that evening (by parking with the Segway running) was a bad idea. After Blinky disappeared, I plugged the i167 back in. A week later I found two red charge lights and no amount of switching packs or re-plugging in would help.

Since only 50 glides were enjoyed over 30 months, I failed to get full use of the batteries when compared with the first set of batteries that were used every day. My local dealer successfully charged them using an external charger, and the problem seemed solved. Green lights appeared when I reinstalled the packs, but a week later while plugged in, the red charge lights were on again.

So it's decision time. Buy new batteries for my upgraded i167, trade in for a new one before May 15th, or sell the historic model to the city if they want one with original steering. Another option is to donate the i167 to one of our museums (if they plan on a Segway exhibit) since so many Segway PT's are being used by the city. The decision is more difficult with the upcoming move back to Orange County, California. While downtown OKC has been spectacular for using the PT, I don't know where I am going to be living yet. I plan to be out-of-state several months a year, so battery life may suffer no matter which model I own.

Meanwhile, thanks to all who posted their experiences with red charge lights, bad batteries and upgrading to new i2 and x2 models. Your expertise makes it easier to make these decisions.

Last edited by mzokc; 05-03-2009 at 11:33 PM..