Thread: mzokc's Blog
View Single Post
Old 11-18-2006, 04:36 PM   #12
mzokc
mzokc is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee
Default Battery Replacement Day - November 18, 2006

I took a last glide with the original battery packs today. That equaled at least 690 glides on the original packs. All the glides were documented right here on Segway Chat. It has been an unforgettable adventure on that first set of batteries!

New NiMH battery packs were purchased for original performance and maximum clearance under the PT. Lithium-ions were considered, but the additional cost made staying with NiMH an easy choice. I stopped by at the Oklahoma City Segway dealer today after waiting about a week for delivery of the batteries.

Today's glide of riding in the house and outside for one city block brought the PT to a slow down as the new software upgrade prevented using the old pack for any distance. (I live in a 99 year old home, so it's normal for me to use something for a long time!) Today was the first time the battery packs were removed (one at a time) and some duct tape was used to remove a bit of leftover adhesive on the chassis where the old battery seal came in contact with the metal.

The midnight blue batteries look nice with the original gray color. It's the only color shipping in NiMH, so any photos from of the HT/PT from this day forward will feature the two tone i167. After a full charge, I will post my feelings about the upgraded software. It will be fun to enjoy a fully charged and a "like new" original Segway PT again!

Last edited by mzokc; 11-18-2006 at 04:50 PM.. Reason: Accuracy