View Single Post
Old 03-21-2006, 02:14 AM   #1
cmonkey
cmonkey will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner Segway Polo Player
Default Four minute mile? sharing a thought on speed

I have recently tried a little experiment in psychology.

For the last few weeks, when people ask me how fast the seg goes, I tell them either 3-4 times walking speed, or that I can cover a mile in about 5 or 6 minutes.

I've noticed when you refer to the segway speed in 'miles per hour' folks seem more prone to associate that term with the only thing in their minds that they can reference, namely a car or motorcycle. I'm sure, that subconsciously, the brain makes the association of:

milesperhourcarmotorcyclesidewalkbaddangerous....

the other association that also may occur is:

milesperhourcarmotorcyclesegwayslowwhydontyoudrive ?...

By referring to the Segway more in relation to human capabilities, I seem to get more positive responses.

When I tell people they could probably run faster than the seg, they don't seem as intimidated by the technology.

I can now make the comparison to the recently completed LA Marathon.
I let people know that I can cover a mile 6 seconds faster than the winner, but he'd beat me because I'd run out of juice a few miles shy of the finish line!

When people compare that data to their own speed capabilities they are more impressed with the endurance capabilities of the Segway, and can more readily understand and accept why I ride one as opposed to walking or driving.

So no more references to MPH for me.

Just a little food for thought.

David S

I love my magic carpet!
Yahoo Group - SEGOC
cmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote