View Single Post
Old 05-10-2014, 11:12 PM   #18
KSagal
Glides a lot, talks more...
KSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud of

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

Quote:
Originally Posted by hsvendsen View Post
I have owned three (3) e167s in my time. They were all converted to software version 12.0 and all retained the self balance feature.
I have never seen a comprehensive explanation for why this feature was discontinued. I can assume, however, that the 'sloppy' control shaft on the gen 2 machines would make self balancing impossible?
Hans, I was told many years ago, by the engineer in charge that a balance parking e-2 would not be that hard to make. Remember, the balancing parking function did not include steering.

I believe their decision factors were the liability issues primarily, and also the additional training and actual gliding differences.

In the early years, a very high percentage of lawsuits and complaints came from the e series, way out of proportion to the small percentage of those who had that feature.

This, at least, it what I was told.

So, it seems that to 'e' or not is not an engineering issue, but a management choice. This is the reason that during the recall of 2006, they converted most of the remaining e-167s that came in to i-167s. Clearly all those conversions would have nothing to do with the new lean steer.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Well done is better than well said." (Ben Franklin)
Bene factum melior bene dictum

Proud past President of SEG America and member of the First Premier Segway Enthusiasts Group and subsequent ones as well.
KSagal is offline   Reply With Quote