View Single Post
Old 09-06-2014, 01:18 AM   #1
injured in LA
injured in LA is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member
Default Test driving Segway w/ seat modification

Hi,
I injured both my knees (bone contusions, IT band tears) in an accident and am unable to walk. I estimate that it will take another 6 months or so before I'll be able to walk properly, while I undergo physical therapy. My line of work, however, requires a high level of mobility (eg, walking around the hospital from floor to floor & room to room everyday for 12 hours at a time, ~ 3 miles a day, repeatedly standing up/sitting down, grabbing charts). I tried using a wheelchair, which was difficult for me due to relatively weak upper body strength, difficulty maneuering, & slowness getting around). I have unfortunately discovered that this world is not at all friendly toward even the temporarily partially disabled. Which needs to be fixed.

I think a segway w/ a segsaddle or segseat would be a much better device to allow me to get around, restart work, & allow me knees to recover over the next 6 months.

None of the segway dealers in my area (southern California) have segways w/ seat modifications available to test drive. I currently cannot stand for longer than a few minutes at a time, nor can I apply too much pressure through my knees. I therefore cannot test drive a regular segway. I came onto this forum to ask if anyone around the southern California area (I live in Los Angeles) has a segway w/ seat modification (not a wheelchair segway, but one of those seats that sit a little higher) they would allow me to test drive?? I don't want to spend $8-9000 on a device I haven't tried out & am not sure if it work form me. I can't walk, let alone run away, so you wouldn't have to worry about me going anywhere w/ it. I could get to where you are or meet you in a public space. I'd also be willing to give you a little money to test drive it for 30 min or however long it would take (& you're comfortable w/). Thank you.
injured in LA is offline   Reply With Quote