View Single Post
Old 01-08-2016, 06:06 PM   #32
rotorblades
rotorblades is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner Segway Polo Player SegwayFest Attendee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuna View Post
Can't speak from personal experience but I've been researching them long enough enough that I feel confident that my impressions are accurate. First I agree with Robert-A, a seated Segway will not be a good "replacement" for a power wheelchair for most people but will be an excellent "complement" to one. Most power wheelchairs perform poorly in outdoor environments, ie: sand, grass, gravel, etc. Because of their larger wheel diameter and self balancing attributes Segways handle these surfaces much better even with the narrower i2 wheels. Additionally one can operate a seated Segway "no hands" at least to some extent. This leaves you free to do more things with your hands while you're gliding, ie: hold an umbrella, a loved ones hand, use your imagination. Seated Segway operators report feeling greater self respect in that you sit higher and don't have to look up to the able body populace all the time. Lastly, like Robert-A says they're "just plain fun". 12.5 mph as opposed to six or eight has got to be better.

On the down side I don't think they'll perform as well in side as most power chairs, ie: not as easy to control, may not fit under tables and desks, not as comfortable seating. And like Robert said there is the "risk" factor. They definitely aren't as safe as a wheelchair. For those with a higher level of ability I believe that they would make an excellent addition to a power wheelchair.
i see no problem moving aroundin most indoor environments
i worry about kids in a grouponly because they move so fast in a noisey environment its hard letting folks know you are there close to them i keep talking= im right behind you or im passing on your leftmost places are quite welcoming when they see how quiet stable smooth and polite that i am i have an x2 with the big knobby fatty tires but easily get into most places/doorways even on a cruise ship
rotorblades is offline   Reply With Quote