View Single Post
Old 04-19-2009, 11:54 AM   #9
Bob.Kerns
Advanced Member
Bob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of light

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevepierce View Post
I was most interested in the kickstand. Apparently this inventor can figure out how to make a kickstand that will actually hold up his invention.

As opposed to Segway who two years later still hasn't fixed the kick stand problem.

Steve
I'd be happy to license them my modifications, done with things found around the home:

Take a piece of polyethylene from empty gallon milk bottles large enough to go around the existing kickstand twice. It helps to soften it over a heat source and preroll tightly while warm
Put the polyethylene around the existing kickstand, and wrap it in fiber-reinforced tape.

That's enough to solve the main problem. However, the rubber tip will eventually fail. So the final piece is to stick an ordinary cane tip (3/4" inner diameter) on the end. It will fit tightly, but taping or gluing it into place is also a good idea.

For aesthetics, wrap it in black electrical tape (or another color, if you prefer). Heat-shrink tubing would be a good substitute, if you have any of the right size lying around, but I'd just used the last of that size on another project...and my main rule in this effort was to not have to go out and buy anything.

I thought this fix would not last long, and I'd soon run out and buy a better kickstand. And there ARE several kickstand designs I'd rate as better than mine.

But none cheaper, if you've got a stock INC kickstand.

And it's held up very well, and is quite adequate. If you forget the stand is down, and drag the Segway around with it down -- or more awkwardly, manage to put it into Riderless Balance Mode -- you'll bend the modified kickstand out of shape. Unlike the stock one, however, just bend it back and it's fine.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Obviously, we can't have infinite voltage, or the universe would tear itself to shreds, and we wouldn't be discussing Segways.
Bob.Kerns is offline   Reply With Quote