View Single Post
Old 10-14-2014, 03:46 PM   #18
noalox
noalox is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Civicsman View Post
Along with other reasons (selling price, limited functionality, seasonal usage, etc.) the two sentences above succinctly describe why Segway is not truly successful. ("survival" is not "success")

1. Ideally, the unit should never have to be returned to the factory. Diagnostics should be performed at the dealer, with an internet connection from the machine to the factory, if needed. Dealers should be able to diagnose almost any issue, within a couple of days. Why does my washing machine have the ability to communicate diagnostic information on the internet, while Segs do not?

For customers without a nearby dealer, it would be a huge advantage if owners could communicate such information directly to Segway. Once diagnosed, repair kits could be sent to dealers, minimizing downtime for the customer. Customers might even have direct access to limited types of repair kits.

2. Repair kits, with specific hardware for given error codes, should be dispatched from the factory by overnight courier. For difficult diagnostic issues, there could even be an option to get a rebuilt and tested base.

3. In the unusual case where field diagnosis is not successful, Segway should make it very easy for an owner to ship the base (without wheels or batteries) back to the factory.
Civicsman is dead on right on his critique of the poor service model currently used by Inc.. There is NO reason (other than the service people in Bedford trying to protect their jobs) for them not to adopt the diagnostic features you mentioned.

The only issue I have is that part of the reason they are not successful is due to their being a "seasonal" vehicle. I don't agree. I live in the far north and there is plenty of market for mopeds, bikes, motorcycles, 4 wheelers, jet skies, snowmobiles, etc.. All of these machines are "seasonal" (and have fairly similar price points) but have found a place in society. If Inc. would advertise to those who are in the market for these seasonal vehicles they may find some traction.
noalox is offline   Reply With Quote