View Single Post
Old 05-06-2017, 07:15 AM   #3
vicsueb
vicsueb is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member
Default Segway use on Carnival ships

Thank you for your warm welcome. I've been in communication with Carnival, concerning the use of my mini Segway on board Carnival ships. I am a senior and I have disabilities that prevent me to walk more than a hundred feet. I can however stand without any issues, I have a government issue parking placard, a medical card identifying my disability and a Dr's letter identifying the use of my Segway is medically necessary. In my discussions with Carnival I've brought their attention to the ADA approving the Segway as a disability mobility vehicle. After being bumped around, I finally had a supervisor claim that Carnival received a waiver from the Department of Justice that allowed them to disregard the ADA regulations concerning the use of a Segway aboard their ships. Claiming that it's too fast, it can endanger other quests and especially their employees. Of course that argument could be said for any mobility scooter and by any public facility.

I've not responded yet, as I'm still researching. Carnival is not a stranger when it comes to offenses of the ADA. Has anyone heard that such a waiver was issued by the DOJ, or even possible that such a waiver exists. Would appreciate very much if the folks in the Segway community would share their thoughts and as a community get to the truth, as I can't fathom that the DOJ would ever give such a broad waiver and set a precedent that can easily affect other forms of disability mobility vehicle. Thank you for taking the time to read my post.
Best to all, Vic
vicsueb is offline   Reply With Quote