View Single Post
Old 03-09-2013, 02:24 PM   #19
SegwayDan
Advanced Member
SegwayDan has a spectacular aura aboutSegwayDan has a spectacular aura about

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSagal View Post
Doesn't the "Q" scooter, and the "Rad-to-Go" have steering casters at the rear of the platform? I believe that the brakes are also on these smaller, rear mounted wheels.

I believe that the stance, maneuverability, and surely stability of those device are all far below the standards set by segway...

By stance, I mean the stability of simply being still, with a rider on the platform, on a slope. Surely, braking facing down on a slope is an adventure with this technology.

I can see how a caster, similar to those on a PUMA can be incorporated, yet not be part of the propulsion system.

There I go... I said I was not going to try and speculate, and now I am. I really do want to try not to...
That's OK, Karl. So far, this conversation has been quite even-handed and calm. I for one don't like to speculate, either. When I first heard about leansteer I was put off by my own assumption that foot pressure sensing would be the input for steering rather than the pivoting of the LSF.

With reference to a 3-wheel transporter, I'm trying to conceive of how Segway won't make another T3 with its inherent instability from a front-oriented steering wheel. It also "pains" me to see those T3s on "fail" videos tipping over like so many of us did on our own tricycles (and even Big Wheels which succeeded them) we had as kids.

The BHP Can-Am is a trike with two up front and a single drive wheel in the rear, which seems to be pretty stable. I test drove one and, though different, doesn't seem unstable at all.

But a Segway-esque 3-wheel transporter would have a very narrow stance with a substantial moment of inertia wanting to tip transporter and driver over. The 2-wheel PT we know handles this with dynamic balancing quite nicely. So why throw out that very workable system for the sake of three wheels? I say they'd want to *supplement* it with a third wheel serving a relatively minor role of slow speed/stopped stability, and would therefore want to be not much more than a caster/outrigger.

It could also "caster" and not get in the way when the machine was self- balancing going down a steep grade.

Dan Swanson

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

727-403-2628

Last edited by SegwayDan; 03-09-2013 at 02:31 PM..
SegwayDan is offline   Reply With Quote