View Single Post
Old 02-02-2015, 10:38 AM   #43
KSagal
Glides a lot, talks more...
KSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud of

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwoynaro View Post
12 degrees out this past Saturday. my I2 was outside for at least 1 1/2 hrs on the back bumper of the car. I went to a large shopping mall complex. I was expecting the ! mark on the info key when I started. I powered up, and got that as I expected. Since my wife was with me with the car, I decided to see how much of an issue this would be. I glided to another store probably 3/4 of a mile away. I figured if the Seg died, she would be there with the car and I would be okay. The ! mark to me behaves similarly to when you get the speed limiter and the leansteer pushes back and slows you down. Within 50 feet, it slowed down to only a few mph of forward speed. I was gliding across a parking lot limited to a few mph forward speed considering whether to just bail out and call the wife and load it back up on the car. I have a seat on the I2, and I forced the center of gravity forward and it suddenly went to normal operating mode, full speed available. I went to the food store ( that was way too cold for how I was dressed) a good 1 /2 mile away and was in the store the whole time with no further issues. I checked the infokey and I was down a few power bars (had a full charge to start with), but as it warmed up, they came back. So for me, if I leave it outside in the cold, say 20 degrees or lower, it will give me an ! on the infokey and try to limit my speed, but if I shift the center of gravity forward and force the issue, it returns back to normal operation. Interesting, but I am mostly just greateful that it still functions in that environment.
The other consideration for your story is that after running for a few minutes, the batteries do generate a bit of heat internally, and it may have been enough for them to start to operate better.

Anyway you cut it, it was a good finding.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Well done is better than well said." (Ben Franklin)
Bene factum melior bene dictum

Proud past President of SEG America and member of the First Premier Segway Enthusiasts Group and subsequent ones as well.
KSagal is offline   Reply With Quote