View Single Post
Old 02-09-2009, 02:39 AM   #19
Bob.Kerns
Advanced Member
Bob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of light

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnM View Post
"I would require...", hmmm.

If you are considering a fascist takeover of American industry in order to increase Segway sales, why not just dictate that each household purchase one Segway per member over the age of 2? Anything short of forcing people to buy Segways at gunpoint leaves open the option to buy a more efficient transportation alternative, say an electric assist bike.

Personally, I'm still a big proponent of democracy and capitalism. Let the people decide. Libertarianism with a hint of anarchism floats my boat.
I think the issue here is that these companies want our taxpayer dollars. I think the Libertarian answer is either "no!", or "OK, what are you going to give us.", with a strong bias toward the former.

"Make them not make gas cars" is an investment decision, not facism. I don't think just giving them dollars does anything but change the setpoint on the process of collapse. That might cushion a few jobs here and there, but it won't sell cars, and won't revive an industry, especially not one that has been resistant to change.
Bob.Kerns is offline   Reply With Quote