View Single Post
Old 03-23-2006, 06:46 PM   #5
JohnM
JohnM is a glorious beacon of lightJohnM is a glorious beacon of lightJohnM is a glorious beacon of lightJohnM is a glorious beacon of lightJohnM is a glorious beacon of light

5 yr Member

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Isidore

I use the same analogy when asked 'how fast?' Either 'about as fast as a world championship Marathon runner' or 'about the speed of a languid cyclist'. 12.5 mph or 20 kph doesn't mean much to most people, probably better if they want numbers to say 5.5 metres/sec or 18 feet/sec- about the length of a small American Car or a couple of feet more than two Smart cars...
Languid?
1. Lacking energy or vitality; weak.
2. Showing little or no spirit or animation; listless.
3. Lacking vigor or force; slow.

Note that your 12mph languid cyclist is burning the same calories per minute as a pedestrian traveling at a typical 3 mph pace. I wouldn't call the pedestrian lanquid but moving at a comfortable speed that is sustainable for lengthy periods without getting sweaty. Same for the 12mph cyclist. It's what is called a 'conversational pace' i.e. going as fast as you can while being able to carry on a normal conversation with your traveling companions.

Besides, does any one use 'languid' in day-to-day conversation on either side of the pond? It's nebulus obfuscation.

JohnM
Anything worth doing for 2 hours is 10 times more worthwhile if done for 20 hours.
RUSA #235
JohnM is offline   Reply With Quote