View Single Post
Old 01-16-2014, 06:52 AM   #27
Bob.Kerns
Advanced Member
Bob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of light

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob.Kerns View Post
I'll come back to the more general question later, but this part is easy.

The answer is "no, force does not require any specific amount of energy. Consider the energy required to drop in a pin in a slot to lock the wheels. It can be trivial."

Your experience confuses force and energy, and is based on how old brakes were designed (not very well), and not any real physical requirement.

It takes no energy to just apply a force. Energy is force TIMES DISTANCE. That is, you keep applying that force as you move something (or you are moved) through a distance. But to apply a force over zero distance consumes (and produces) zero energy. Our muscles are inefficient, they tell us otherwise because they waste energy when generating a force.

I'll come back to that when I get a chance to explain the overall picture more.
I haven't forgotten this, but getting sick the second week of a new job is kind of making a mess of things, plus a few other things going on.

I'd like to draw a few pictures to make the physics a bit more clear. It all ties together in a tidy bundle of interrelated but consistent pieces.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Obviously, we can't have infinite voltage, or the universe would tear itself to shreds, and we wouldn't be discussing Segways.
Bob.Kerns is offline   Reply With Quote