View Single Post
Old 01-12-2014, 12:55 PM   #23
KSagal
Glides a lot, talks more...
KSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud of

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

Quote:
Originally Posted by terryp View Post
Each motor does have two separate windings, and each winding is connected to one of the two control boards. From that standpoint you could say that there are two motors in one housing. Of course each motor has only one armature, but it can be turned by either or (normally) both controller boards.

If I understood Doug Field's description correctly, when the Segway forces you to slow down by leaning you backward, it's speeding up the motors to put the base out in front of your COG, but not so much that it can't recover as you lean back to comply.
I was thinking more of speed limiter. In that case, the machine is moving forward, but if you lean on the handlebar, you feel the resistance, without the base speeding up. I had presumed this was a function of multiple impulses from the windings toward the armature, but that some of the impulses are forward propulsion, and some are reverse...

I had also thought there were more windings more like a stepper motor. Two sets, but far more than 2 windings.

Of course, it could be more easily explained by momentary increases in speed, to give the feel of push back at the handlebar, but then a reduction in speed of the overall unit... Kind of the same, but in this scenario, the yang comes before the ying.

Of course, I may easily have the whole concept wrong...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Well done is better than well said." (Ben Franklin)
Bene factum melior bene dictum

Proud past President of SEG America and member of the First Premier Segway Enthusiasts Group and subsequent ones as well.

Last edited by KSagal; 01-12-2014 at 01:09 PM..
KSagal is offline   Reply With Quote