Thread: Segway gear oil
View Single Post
Old 12-28-2016, 01:14 PM   #19
ions82
ions82

5 yr Member

The only reason I, personally, would want to change the oil in my gearboxes is to quiet the machine down. I certainly don't think it would increase the longevity of machine. I'm confident in saying that the gearboxes will easily outlast both me and the electronics of the machine itself.

Also, I think comparing the gearboxes on the 2nd-gen Segway to that of a work truck is quite astute. They are both built to exacting standards. Of the two, I'd say the Seg gears are the ones which are "overbuilt" for the application. They will easily handle anything that we will be able to throw at them, and they still look like a work of art. In thinking about an oil viscosity change, I am certainly not suggesting that I know more than Segway engineers. I just want to find ways to quiet down my i2.

When I called Segway tech support, it quickly became clear to me that they don't want people to mess with gearboxes. Also, if you've ever taken one apart, the effort required also makes it rather evident. They were built to last indefinitely. The original gear oil is probably ideal for longevity, all conditions, all rider weights, all environments... It's probably a high-quality synthetic. I can't say for sure as Segway tech wouldn't tell me what it is or how much is normally used. I think keeping that info under wraps is just a liability measure. They would probably cringe at a thread like this.

Anyway, in terms of quieting down my i2, I think other measures may be more effective. My 2010 (4,800 miles and brand new couplers) is a fair bit louder than my 2008 (with only 40 miles.) I think that the gearboxes in the 2010 are only a little louder, but the fenders act as a megaphone and really amplify it. I might take the 2010 fenders and have them coated with Rhino liner. At first, I was thinking just the inside. However, I may actually have both sides done. I bet that would be effective at quieting the machine.

Since the fenders bolt right to the gearboxes, any noises get amplified. My friend's 320-mile x2 seems silent. My MiniPro is stealth! I'd like to get my i2 down a couple decibels, as well. If the Rhino liner doesn't do the trick, I might try an oil change. Part of the reason I'd do the fenders first is that it is VERY tough to get the oil drain plug out. I destroyed a Torx T27 wrench on the one that I opened. The plug is situated in a way so that vise grips are not an option. Trying to remove the oil plug is a bit of a gamble to begin with. If it were damaged, one would either need to drill or machine out the plug. Then, the whole gearbox would need to be opened to clean any shavings (which is a big PITA.) Or, the oil change idea could simply be abandoned altogether.

So, for anyone who can't overcome the curiosity about changing the gear oil, just know that it might end up being way more work than it's worth/expected. I might end up doing it, but I'm also one of those types who likes to take his stuff apart. It doesn't always get put back together, but it sure is fun seeing what's inside!
ions82 is offline   Reply With Quote