View Single Post
Old 01-13-2010, 10:09 PM   #24
martinbogo
martinbogo is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthSegVator View Post
They are very advanced (and much different) than others out there, although they may share the same cell types. Each battery contains it's own circuit board and intelligent charging system. The base merely contains the power supply/converter. The charging portion is in the battery itself.

The machine knows every battery that has ever been mounted to the machine and that specific battery's past performance characteristics. It knows when a battery has been attached to it for the first time as well. It knows when cells start to over-temp or are beginning to go bad. A truely "smart" battery.

Nobody, that I'm aware of, has anything like it. Why do you think they are 1/3 of the price of the machine?
Yes, but that's not Valence ... that's Segway. Valence provides the raw cells, which are indeed just another kind of LiFe chemistry. Everything surrounding the actual cells was designed, built, and programmed by Segway. If they choose to do so, they could go with any battery technology they see fit.

Quote:
The machine knows every battery that has ever been mounted to the machine and that specific battery's past performance characteristics.
Really? That's news to me. AFIK it only seems to 'remember' a few cells, and the TI DSP that runs the whole system doesn't have a lot of memory to store much at all. I've opened and reloaded a Segway battery to replace bad cells, and had things work just marvelously.
martinbogo is offline   Reply With Quote