View Single Post
Old 01-13-2010, 10:01 PM   #23
DarthSegVator
DarthSegVator is just really niceDarthSegVator is just really niceDarthSegVator is just really niceDarthSegVator is just really nice

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gihgehls View Post
There isn't any special "segway battery technology" that I'm aware of. Valance makes their Safion batteries which are not prone to thermal runaway (exploding), but they are hardly the only game in town when it comes to safe lithium-based batteries. In fact, A123 seems to be the name I hear everwhere when I hear about safe lithium ion batteries for transportation applications.
They are very advanced (and much different) than others out there, although they may share the same cell types. Each battery contains it's own circuit board and intelligent charging system. The base merely contains the power supply/converter. The charging portion is in the battery itself.

The machine knows every battery that has ever been mounted to the machine and that specific battery's past performance characteristics. It knows when a battery has been attached to it for the first time as well. It knows when cells start to over-temp or are beginning to go bad. A truely "smart" battery.

Nobody, that I'm aware of, has anything like it. Why do you think they are 1/3 of the price of the machine?
DarthSegVator is offline   Reply With Quote