View Single Post
Old 06-05-2015, 09:46 AM   #42
Civicsman
Civicsman is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsman is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsman is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsman is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsman is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsman is a glorious beacon of light

5 yr Member

Quote:
Yes...of course...I recommend caves

look... water is a good conductor of electricity people on or in or near water are among those most at risk during thunderstorms....stay out of ditches...
I originally wrote, "It's better to do this in a depression in the earth, if you have the option". KSAGAL translated "depression" to "ditch" in his responses, presumably for dramatic effect. Subsequently, I also used "ditch" in a couple of responses, but I agree that "ditch" is a term for a trench often used for irrigation or drainage. Perhaps "ravine" or "gully" is better terminology. Anyway, "a low spot that gets you below the surrounding terrain, making you less likely to be struck directly".

I agree that staying out of standing/running water is appropriate because of the ground current of a nearby strike, but the highest risk factor around water is for people on beaches, docks, or in boats, because they're the highest feature and most likely to get clobbered directly.

Duck into a cave for lightning safety? See below:

http://www.lightningsafety.noaa.gov/..._lightning.pdf

Last edited by Civicsman; 06-05-2015 at 11:14 AM..
Civicsman is offline   Reply With Quote