Old 07-27-2017, 11:49 PM   #6
Pescador12
Pescador12 is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member
Smile Hack me

Quote:
Originally Posted by SegwayUtah View Post
TL;DR:

In this particular case, Segway could issue a firmware update which required all future firmware to be digital-signature-authenticated. For reference, desktop operating systems made that exact move over the last two decades. [There are also nifty things that can be done with crypto-authentication microchips...a topic for another day perhaps.]

Also, please note that everything I just said is a gross oversimplification of the hardware/software security issues inherent in any wirelessly-connected device.

Chris
The recent article notes that the security expert contacted Ninebot a year ago. There have been several firmware releases since then.

My minipro does not take remote operation while I am standing on it. It beeps and shuts down remote control when you stand on it. Best a hacker could do, if they are chasing me with a phone, is set the speed limit to 6mph. Maybe 3mph. I am not sure since I never use that feature and don't use a phone connection (my wife set up both mini pros with her phone).

I thought about loading the app but loose interest before getting around to setting iTunes to load it. Plus, I hear it drains phone batteries when it is on.

My next thread will be on how to transport two Segways. One in each arm
Pescador12 is offline   Reply With Quote