View Single Post
Old 04-01-2007, 05:52 AM   #14
Sal
Enjoys a well balanced glide
Sal has a reputation beyond reputeSal has a reputation beyond reputeSal has a reputation beyond reputeSal has a reputation beyond reputeSal has a reputation beyond reputeSal has a reputation beyond reputeSal has a reputation beyond reputeSal has a reputation beyond reputeSal has a reputation beyond reputeSal has a reputation beyond reputeSal has a reputation beyond repute

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert_Seg View Post
I find this whole topic ridiculous. Are we really so shallow that we constantly seek the approval of others?

Who cares who left what type of reputation? We all know what we each are capable of providing to this forum and whilst a new member may not, I bet many of the new members will figure it out pretty fast.

There were people who hadn't even realized there was a rep point feature until Plo made his first post about this oh so many months ago. Sure, there are going to abuse the system but if we let sleeping dogs lay then most people will ignore it.

Finally, I build my own opinion on a person's value, an opinion not based on reputation points or number of points, but based on their value as an overall SegwayChat member.

Steven
I agree with Steven. I don't really know if people care, pay attention to rep points. (except for some of those, of course who are posting to this thread). I went through a phase of posting positive rep points and then lagged off. Furthermore, I have received my share of negative rep points as well. I didn't care much about the points received because I was stating my mind in those posts which I elicited a negative response.

Again, our reputations are made through time and experience and through multiple interactions with folks. Our reputations are not based on a multiple-click system of ratings.

I believe a person's reputation on this site for being knowledgable about the Segway is paved through multiple interactions. A newbie to this site looking for answers will get responses from many many people. And invariably the new member will receive response to the constant participant rather than the on-again off-again poster. Everyone who posts regularly here knows a thing or two about the machines.

People who come to this site for any extended period of time will learn to trust, say Karl's opinions and experiences regarding the Segway. People will learn that Plo loves Polo, people will learn that Tarkus, among others is a staunch advocate for DRAFT and so on.

THAT is reputation. Points [should] mean nothing.

Again, I'm not keeping score, and I don't think the majority of posters are as well.

-Sal

Last edited by Sal; 04-01-2007 at 06:03 AM..