View Single Post
Old 04-17-2017, 12:43 PM   #5
Pescador12
Pescador12 is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don M View Post
I would be surprised if the mini-Pro isn't using 18650 form factor batteries - They're pretty much the industry standard. 92 of them in each Segway battery (184 of them in total) and the Tesla Model S is also powered with them - More than 7,500 of them in the Tesla pack

Don
At 184 cells per big Segway, switching to regular LG MG1 series batteries (from the expensive proprietary batteries) would be $600ish just for the batteries. Then you would need the nickle strips and weld them yourself. Any opened battery being banned from aircraft.

Battery guys hunt wrecked electric cars to salvage those cells. Hybrid cars are also handy. I wonder what process is used to economically connect 7,500 cells.

I did notice that the passenger in the article didn't complain or seem to have much of an issue with United's response. He was probably expecting not to be able to take the mini pro. The article writer had more of an hissy. Exciting article on a trending subject (United) to bring in audience numbers to a website facing stiff competition?
Pescador12 is offline   Reply With Quote