View Single Post
Old 02-09-2009, 03:02 PM   #28
Civicsman
Civicsman is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsman is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsman is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsman is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsman is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsman is a glorious beacon of light

5 yr Member

Glenn,

All of the car makers are driven by the same economics, not only the "Big Three" (meaning Toyota, GM, and Ford,
right?). A car that won't sell with a GM label won't sell with a Hyundai label either (although I'm surprised sometimes about what will sell with a Toyota label...)

I agree that an all electric car with 100 mile range (while running the of A/C or heater), that didn't cost a mint, that didn't require you to to purchase a new set of batteries in 10 years, would be have interest in the automotive marketplace. Unfortunately, it doesn't exist today. The limiting issue is power density of the batteries, coupled with the excessive vehicular mass so many people (uniquely in the US), believe they must have.

Lithium Ions, as expensive and as green-unfriendly as they are, are the best technology we have ...and aren't nearly good enough. (not to mention that the lithium-producing countries will have more power than OPEC and will have us by the base of the snarglies.)

Nevertheless, we agree that things must change, and I believe they are finally moving in that direction, although with some knuckle-dragging from those with the "Whut globel worming crisis?" or the "You'll take my Escalade from me when you unwrap my cold, dead hands from the wheel" mindset.

You get extra points in my book for acknowledging the superiority of ZPM technology. Maybe we can make some money on this....
Civicsman is offline   Reply With Quote