View Single Post
Old 02-09-2009, 09:32 AM   #22
gbrandwood
Advanced Member
gbrandwood is a jewel in the roughgbrandwood is a jewel in the roughgbrandwood is a jewel in the roughgbrandwood is a jewel in the rough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isidore View Post
The vehicle market is changing and will return to a technological battle rather than one about styling and features we didn't know we needed and which are ultimately irrelevant.
Hey - I didn't even know I needed a flip out unfolding expandable drinks holder. But now I have one, I couldn't go without!

I like your reference to the 6ft of manure. Might be able to use that (the reference, not the manure, although it is good for the garden...). It's a bit like the argument I occasionally hear about the Segway, saying that the last thing we want is everyone using a Segway on narrow pavements. They don't get the fact that in order to achieve a point where everyone uses Segways, it would take a lot of time, and through the process of adoption, cause changes in the design of pavements, cycles lanes and road priorities etc. If car use declines in city centres, pedestrianised areas (or cycles lanes)/public transport can increase.

As to the whole "cars aren't selling..." debate, I think we all agree they ARE selling and in quantities far greater than Segways. But if sales do slow and continue to drop, are people really willing to substitute a car purchase with a Segway? Basic economics should see if sales slow, prices will come down to encourage demand. If cars become cheaper, highly price sensitive individuals may find it hard to choose a Segway. Cheaper cars = relatively more expensive Segway (especially as a Segway will cost the best part of £5k in the UK - heck my car isn't worth that - hmm a thread needed for this).

Remember this last year? http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/7180396.stm