View Single Post
Old 02-20-2013, 07:34 AM   #5
rwoynaro
rwoynaro is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob.Kerns View Post
A lot depends on the nature of your balance issue.

If the problem is being able to perform the necessary balancing, a Segway is a good substitute. I'm more stable on a Segway than off, because my legs simply do not respond as quickly or accurately as the Segway.

If the problem is sensory, it may be more of an issue. I suspect people with vertigo, for example, might have more of a problem. It might be possible to overcome it -- the Segway will respond regardless of your sensory input, and you might be able to cue off of those responses. Keeping it in beginner mode so it responds more slowly might help by giving you more time to orient.

But I'm armchair theorizing about both problem and solution with sensory deficits -- again, everybody is different. It's not just your physical condition, but also your personality and attitude and preferences which come into play. If you're very determined to make it work, it's more likely to be a success, but you should also keep in mind that it's not the right solution for everyone.
Another possibility is that having a seat on your segway may help overcome some balance issues. I cannot maintain my balance standing, but can function on a seated segway fine. I do have to lean the segway against a wall to stabliize it to get on/off as I wouldnt have the balance to do it if it was just standing there (although the seg balances pretty darn well on its own and I have used it as a cane). You do need the ability to raise your foot to be able to step up on the seg. Good luck
rwoynaro is offline   Reply With Quote