View Single Post
Old 05-23-2015, 07:07 PM   #9
Lily Kerns
Lily Kerns will become famous soon enoughLily Kerns will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSagal View Post
I suspect that if it looks like a segway they will think it a segway, even if you educate them. A Segway is a brand name, it is not a definition of a device. An EPAMD is a definition of a device, so if they want to use that term, it is already defined in such a way that the ninebot already fits it. I believe it deals with two non tandem wheels, self balancing, made for one person, less than 25 inches wide, etc, and all that fits both the i2 and the ninebot.

Good luck. Perhaps some more familiar with making entities comply with the federal and other mandates will chime in with more or better data...

Keep up the good fight.
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuadSquad View Post
Lily, where are you specifically being challenged? I was led to believe last fall by the MDC General Counsel that while they were working on revising their regulations to comply with the ADA revisions that in the meantime she'd try to make sure those with disabilities using Segways wouldn't be denied access.
I was told last fall by their counsel that hopefully they would do away with the permit requirement by the end of the year. She also gave me that same assurance of working to see that no one was denied. I have not had any contact with other seg users since then (I don't know of any others I this area.)

However I just requested the latest rules, etc from the MDC and they have changed nothing (except to add classifying mobility scooters as EPAMDs). My traveling has been a bit limited for the last few months and I have not been anywhere that I have been challenged by the MDC. However, anyone searching for information from their web site would find only a single mention of segways-- a statement that the Springfield Nature Center will allow segs but a permit is required. A request to the keeper of records (if you manage to locate that link) will get the same information I just requested.

I've been dealing with them for more than six years now. In the beginning I was told that they had no policy (except no way, Jose!) and was notified 10 months later that they had a policy...absolutely no segs on any MDC property! My protests finally got acknowledgement that I could use their restrooms, roads and parking lots...

I notified them as soon as ADA 2010 information was available, giving them a year and 8 months to comply .. And as usual nothing has happened. Besides the illegal items in their permit process, the permit system itself means that the minute a doctor prescribes a seg, the MDC is assuming that person is less intelligent, capable and responsible (and needs to be informed of rules, etc.) than they would be if they went back to their car and swapped their seg for a wheelchair -- in which case no permit could be required. That is not a device safety issue for which they could legally regulate their use.

After more than six years, my patience has run out. I intend to request permission to appear at their July meeting. (And if anyone is wanting to do that on a seg based issue , good luck in figuring to how to submit your request! Try contacting their general counsel...!) If I get no satisfaction, I am considering filing a formal complaint and requesting a small compensatory penalty and a punitive penalty in the form of paying the complete cost of providing a half dozen Segways for Segs4Vets....

Comments? Can you tell I am frustrated? When I got into this, I had no intention--or desire--to become a disability advocate....
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Lily Kerns; 05-23-2015 at 07:12 PM..
Lily Kerns is offline   Reply With Quote