View Single Post
Old 02-20-2013, 03:23 AM   #4
Bob.Kerns
Advanced Member
Bob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of light

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

A lot depends on the nature of your balance issue.

If the problem is being able to perform the necessary balancing, a Segway is a good substitute. I'm more stable on a Segway than off, because my legs simply do not respond as quickly or accurately as the Segway.

If the problem is sensory, it may be more of an issue. I suspect people with vertigo, for example, might have more of a problem. It might be possible to overcome it -- the Segway will respond regardless of your sensory input, and you might be able to cue off of those responses. Keeping it in beginner mode so it responds more slowly might help by giving you more time to orient.

But I'm armchair theorizing about both problem and solution with sensory deficits -- again, everybody is different. It's not just your physical condition, but also your personality and attitude and preferences which come into play. If you're very determined to make it work, it's more likely to be a success, but you should also keep in mind that it's not the right solution for everyone.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Obviously, we can't have infinite voltage, or the universe would tear itself to shreds, and we wouldn't be discussing Segways.
Bob.Kerns is offline   Reply With Quote