View Single Post
Old 02-25-2015, 01:21 PM   #9
Gihgehls
Gihgehls is just really niceGihgehls is just really niceGihgehls is just really niceGihgehls is just really niceGihgehls is just really nice

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTOBATTERY View Post
Correct, the slow blinking lights will not ever end.

The reasoning behind our recommendation for a timer is as follows. The Segway charging system does not reset if an error occurs during charging which causes a red light. This can occur from a "brown out", from a brief power outage, or from a high voltage condition. In any of these cases your Seg may show a red light and will not recover from the red light unless you unplug the power cord for a few seconds and then plug it back in. Additionally, keeping batteries at max charge level all the time increases the speed at which they degrade. A lithium battery kept at 50% charge for a year will have better health than a battery that was kept at full charge for a year. Given the cost of these batteries it seems to me that a cheap timer can pay for itself very quickly.

Segway is well aware of this and has used a timer to try and overcome the charging hardware issue that they had on nearly 5,000 new SE models. If anyone here has an SE model you should contact your Segway dealer to see if your machine is impacted by the problem as it should not be ignored and I have seen batteries that were made inoperable because of it. If you get in one of these situations we can economically assist you with correcting the battery issues if Segway is not willing to help you under warranty.
I remember reading somewhere that over-use of a timer can be detrimental as well; something about the beginning of the charge cycle being full power or something.. it's been a while. Does this sound familiar at all?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"...if you insist on being imprecise in use and unique in definition, you should hardly be surprised that your attempts at communication are poorly understood." -a wise man
Gihgehls is offline   Reply With Quote